NOVI, Mich., Dec. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Cooper Standard (NYSE: CPS) was recognized at the 4th Annual Best of MichBusiness Awards ceremony for its work to inspire student achievement and interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) careers. The global supplier's effort is an extension of the Cooper Standard Foundation's focus on education, especially as it relates to preparing the next generation for STEM-related careers.
"This is a well-deserved honor for our STEM Affinity Group, who have been working throughout our communities to help accelerate interest in STEM careers," said Sharon Wenzl, senior vice president, corporate communications and community affairs, Cooper Standard. "As a Company, Cooper Standard is committed to engaging the next generation of students to pursue STEM-related jobs, a key component for innovation, manufacturing sustainability and global competitiveness."
Cooper Standard's STEM Affinity Group has grown to include approximately 300 Cooper Standard volunteers around the world, all trained in STEM education and includes members from many different areas within the Company. To date, the STEM Affinity Group has achieved the following in Michigan:
- Joined forces with S.A.Y. Detroit and The Dow Chemical Company to open an interactive science center called Science in the DEEP at the S.A.Y. Detroit Play Center for inner city Detroit youth.
- Supported the FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics program though Livonia, Mich. United Schools' FIRST® Robotics tutoring for the FIRST® Robotics programs at the S.A.Y. Detroit Play Center.
- Hosted a STEM program at the CAR Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City for attendees' children in 2016 and 2017.
- Launched a partnership with Junior Achievement of Southeast Michigan to deliver STEM programing to an estimated 3,000 Detroit public school students annually.
- Supported the Company's facilities participating in Manufacturing Day, an annual event produced by the National Association of Manufacturers, The Manufacturing Institute, Fabricators and Manufacturers Association International and Manufacturing Extension Partnership, during which companies showcase modern manufacturing and foster interest in manufacturing careers.
- Joined Kettering University Alumni to raise donations to sponsor high school students from underserved areas, including Detroit, Jamaica and Mexico, to attend a Kettering pre-college summer program.
The Best of MichBusiness Awards honor companies and individuals that make Michigan a great place to explore, connect and thrive in over a dozen categories ranging from The CEO of CEOs to the Technology Gurus. The 2017 winners were honored on Nov. 30 at the MGM Grand Detroit.
About Cooper Standard
Cooper Standard, headquartered in Novi, Mich., is a leading global supplier of systems and components for the automotive industry. Products include rubber and plastic sealing, fuel and brake lines, fluid transfer hoses and anti-vibration systems. Cooper Standard employs approximately 30,000 people globally and operates in 20 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.cooperstandard.com.
Sharon S. Wenzl
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cooper-standard-recognized-by-best-of-michbusiness-for-community-stem-program-300565808.html
SOURCE Cooper Standard